Home made seitan (vegan high protein recipe)
What is seitan ?
Also known as "wheat meat", seitan is really rich in protein.
Seitan (pronounced "SAY-tahn ") is basically made from gluten, & you add flavors and stuff in it to makes it tastier (gluten doesn't have any taste).
It is now popular for the chewy texture similar to meat. Therefore it's a great high protein meat substitue.
When you buy any kind of fake meat product, it's basically most of the time made with gluten (seitan) and sometimes soy protein.
Did you know that gluten has 83g of protein for 100g ?
So if you want to save money, I really recommend you to do your own seitan ! Fake meat can be so expensive, but it's so easy to make & so cheap !
Keep reading if you're interested ! 👇 ☺️
- Pur gluten (you can find it in any kind of organic or asian stores)
- Soy sauce (or any kind of sauce you like)
- Spicies of your choices (here : garlic powder, paprika, tumeric, herbes de provence, black pepper)
How to do it :
- First boil water (I recommend you to put broth in it to had a little bit more flavor)
- In the mean time, put gluten and all the other ingredients in the same bowl
- Once the water is ready, put it into the ingredient mixture and start to stir up.
First use a spoon and then knead the dough with your hands till you reach a chewy consistency almost like a dense bread dough ! Don't put too much water or makes it too watery because it has to be really dense so it won't fall appart when it will be cooked.
- Let your dough cool down a bit and then shape it the way you want (steak, sausages, chicken, nuggets ...)
- Put your dough into boiled water & let it cooks for a good hour
Voila ! Super easy, super quick, super cheap & super tasty recipe !
Don't be discouraged if you don't get the perfect consistency right away, It took me 3 attempts to get the perfect texture !
Let me know if you've tried & send me picture so I can see it !
I will show you how to do it in my next YouTube video.